e-race the stigma
2nd Annual E-Race the Stigma
Join us for the virtual 5K run / 1 mile walk!
What is E-Race the Stigma: Go the Distance to Close the Distance Mental Health Awareness Event?
This is a donation run/walk organized by the Geauga Youth Advisory Council (YAC), a group of young people committed to changing our community. This event is bringing awareness to mental well-being and that “It’s OKAY not to be OKAY.” We want to decrease the negative stigma of mental health and increase the number of young people reaching out for help. We created this event two years ago and spent two years planning our first race because we feel that mental health is the most important issue young people face today.
How does the virtual E-Race the Stigma event work?
Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean you have to run/walk over Zoom. It’s actually pretty simple. In our virtual walk you participate at your own convenience, wherever you would like during the week of June 14 – June 20. This is a donation only run/walk. So you may sign up and donate whatever you feel most comfortable with. We know these are challenging times and our main focus is to raise awareness about youth mental health, and that “It’s OKAY not to be OKAY”, and getting out in the fresh air and exercising is a great way to improve our own mental health! Any donation is appreciated. However, if you sign up/register and donate $25 or more during registration you will receive a swag package sent right to your door, and you can help us get the message out!! The bag includes a t-shirt, wristband, water bottle and a vinyl sticker. Click HERE to sign up!
When is E-Race the Stigma?
You can do your run/walk whenever you would like during the week on June 14 – June 20, 2020.
Where is E-Race the Stigma?
Wherever you would like to run/walk please do so. We would love to see where you run, so we are having a little contest to see who can send in the most creative place to complete their race. Post and tag us @GPSEmpowered and check out our social media for results!
How much does E-Race the Stigma cost?
This is a donation run/walk, therefore any donation is appreciated. So you may donate whatever you feel most comfortable with. If you sign up/register and donate $25 or more during registration you will receive a swag package sent right to your door so you can help get the word out!! The bag includes a t-shirt, wristband, water bottle and a vinyl sticker. We know these are challenging times and our main focus is to raise awareness about mental health, and that “It’s OKAY not to be OKAY”. Getting out in the fresh air and exercising is a great way to improve positive mental health!
You received your awesome swag items… Now what?
Once you register and donate $25 or more during registration, we will be sending you a swag package. Once you get your t-shirt please make sure you wear it on your run/walk and take some pics to send to us. Tag us @GPSEmpowered on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook or email the pictures to GPSEmpowered@gmail.com . We are excited to see all the amazing places you are completing your event! We will be reposting, sharing, and may use your pictures in the future!
Why should you participate?
To join together and demonstrate support for young people and each other at a time that our mental well-being is challenged. We are all in this together.
What does your support mean to us?
Promoting the voice of youth, their resilience, and E-Racing the Stigma surrounding negative mental health.
If it’s a virtual race, who is going to make sure you do it?
No one is monitoring you, but your mental health will appreciate a nice run/walk outside. Plus this is a great opportunity to get outside and spend time with family!
What if I have questions?
No one is monitoring you, If you have any additional questions please contact Holly Jacobson at email@example.com or at 440-476-6529.
Behind the Design
Speech Bubble: Shaped like a brain to bring in the mental health aspect
Colorful Circles: We associate colors with emotions
- RED provides strength, motivation and initiative for negativity and depression
- ORANGE provides optimism and inner strength for stress, trauma and loss
- YELLOW provides self-confidence and uplifts for lack of confidence, fatigue and sensitivity
- GREEN provides balance, harmony and self-acceptance for stress, anxiety and self-pity
- BLUE provides calmness peace and honesty for stress and anger
- PURPLE provides empathy and dignity for low self-esteem and severe depression
- Circles are meant to represent thoughts. Thoughts that pop into our heads. Each circle can be considered brought to life through balloons. Light, airy, hard to hold, delicate, and always moving. YAC can integrate the colors above as balloons to promote the event and to use at the walk/run. We can even write words on the balloons.
- Quotes: Thoughts and perspectives from others can help bring us together and promote the purpose of the event, and encourage that we are not alone. The quote shape itself would be nice to hand out or present as a PDF for each person including teachers and adults to share their real life situation or motivate.