This 1-3 class period program was designed in response to the sharp increase in sexually transmitted disease/infection among teens over the last several years.
The goal is to take a realistic look at why teens are at risk, assess the ‘odds’ or the risk becoming infected, and take a look at an in-depth and holistic approach to changing those odds.
The program approaches reducing the odds in three ways:
Physically:-how we can protect our bodies/health.
Socially: through honest communication and assessing relationships.
Intellectually: knowing the real facts, risks and potential life- long impact.
- Increase factual knowledge about STD’STI rates, types, symptoms, transmission and long term holistic impacts.
- Motivate students to assess their relationships and utilize key communication skills that will reduce their odds of exposure to STDs/STIs.
- Improve understanding about how specific contraceptive methods protect against STI transmission and/or pregnancy.
- Role play assertive communication skills in uncomfortable relationship conversations.
- Provide tools and information that if utilized will reduce students’ STI risk, and change their perspective regarding the depth and complexity of sexual decisions.